Thursday, February 20, 2014

The Great Gatsby (2013)

A Midwestern war veteran finds himself drawn to the past and lifestyle of his millionaire neighbor. [imdb]


Nominated for 2 Oscars:
Best Production Design (WINNER)
Best Costume Design
 (WINNER)

Another adaption of a book I never really enjoyed. I will say this: Baz's version is better than the 1974 one, which was a borderline disaster. So... that's something, right? Some people seem to have an issue with the production design, but I thought it all looked lovely and the costumes are quite memorable themselves.

The weak element of the film must be the acting: I can't approve of either Leo or Carey, though Joel Edgerton is quite intriguing. Not a deep or meaningful film, but pleasant to watch and talk about that soundtrack...

My rating for the film: 7/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment