Sunday, February 23, 2014

The Broken Circle Breakdown (2012/13)

Elise and Didier fall in love at first sight, in spite of their differences. He talks, she listens. He's a romantic atheist, she's a religious realist. When their daughter becomes seriously ill, their love is put on trial. [imdb]

Nominated for 1 Oscar:
Best Foreign Language Film (Belgium)

I feel like I'm going to be unfair with this film, since many people DO enjoy it, and good for them. I've actually heard of one person hating it, but I don't hate it at all. I just think it goes for a couple of cliches that it could've avoided. I also think it reaches a high point in the plot way too early and then gets rather lost from there.
The actors do a fine job most of the time, but nothing spectacular. The music if fine. The directing is fine. The kid playing the little girl, she deserved to be named: Nell Cattrysse, brings some amazing Quvenzhané realness to the part, especially in the dead-crow scene. I can't get behind some of the dialogue, though, which seemed forced, almost out of place, and the ending was just a bit silly.
My rating for the film: 7/10. Since it never really bothered me.

No comments:

Post a Comment